Thursday, May 14, 2009

IMAX - Is It Worth It?

After reading about Aziz Ansari's rant regarding the discrepancies between the real IMAX theaters and the fake ones, I couldn't help but agree with his comments. In recent months I have watched two feature films in IMAX format: Watchmen and Star Trek in two different theaters in two different countries. The Watchmen experience was actually pretty good - the screen was bigger than any of the regular theater screens I had seen until then. And the sound was immaculate as expected from the format. However, the experience wasn't the same with Star Trek.

Now, I've had some issues with the new Star Trek in general and the size of the screen had nothing to do with that. Nevertheless, seeing the screen not being that big was a bit of a disappointment. I guess I wasn't paying too much attention, but it looks like the chains can actually be ripping us off when they overcharge us for IMAX tickets.

A solution to this problem could be if the chains actually promote their theaters to be digital IMAX rather than film-based IMAX (the latter has the giant screens, while the former has only slighly larger screens). I would then be a very happy customer indeed.

Still, it wouldn't have helped Star Trek. Just saying.

Peace.

No comments: