Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Couple of Changes for the Oscar Nominations

As with the Top 10 films of the year, I am compelled to make a few changes to my Oscar nominations, as There Will Be Blood was more impressive than I thought it would be.

So, here are the categories that PT Anderson's new film has been nominated, followed by my original prediction and if there is any change:

BEST ACTOR:
Prediction: Daniel Day-Lewis
New Prediction: Daniel Day-Lewis

It was evident from the teasers and trailers that this would be Day-Lewis' year again. And with all the commendations given to him so far, his win was sealed from the get-go.

BEST ART DIRECTION:
Prediction: Atonement
New Prediction: Atonement

I am sticking to my guns with this one, because Atonement was the best-looking film of the year by a mile.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
Prediction: The Assassination of Jesse James...
New prediction: The Assassination of Jesse James...

If this year isn't the year of Roger Deakins, then the Academy needs a huge rehashing process to do.

BEST DIRECTOR:
Prediction: The Coens
New Prediction: The Coens

No comment necessary here.

EDITING:
Prediction: The Bourne Ultimatum
New prediction: There Will Be Blood

There Will Be Good Storytelling...for shizzle.

BEST MOTION PICTURE:
Prediction: No Country
New Prediction: No Country

There Will Be Blood suffers from outstanding acting to shine as a film on its own.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Prediction: No Country
New Prediction: No Country

I'm sticking to my guns again for this one.

So, there has only been one change. I was absolutely sure that it would sweep the Original Score award, but to my chagrin it's not nominated. Surely, one of the biggest omissions in this category...perhaps the biggest. Shame.

Peace.

No comments: